Raglan Pattern Tour: Patterns for Pirates Slim Fit Raglan

We're in the home stretch folks! I have one more review after this one and in just a quick minute we're going to be giving away fabric! I hope you've enjoyed reading though Tibeca's posts and mine as well. 

Today I'm reviewing the Patterns for Pirates Slim Fit Raglan. I really loved the look of the original Raglan pattern from P4P, however, if you've ever read my blog, you'll know I like fitted clothing, so this is much more my style. :)
Tibeca sewed up the original if you'd like to read her review here.


I picked up this awesome fabric from Joanns. It's the newer Nicole Miller line they're carrying for Spring. It's super drapey and soft. Plus, it's so vibrant, I felt hella 80's.


I've sewn up so many long sleeves, I thought I'd make a few for Spring that's quickly approaching in Washington. This will be worn a lot on my days off. It's super comfortable and just slim enough to make me feel sexy / casual.


I love -LOVE- how quickly this came together. All of Judy's patterns are "no trim pages" so they're super quick to piece together. And this pattern has LAYERS. So I just chose my size and printed that size only! It works out great and uses less ink. You can easily even print in black and white if you are only doing one size. (She also dashes her patterns, so you can do B&W even if you're blending multiple sizes.)

After this was cut, it took about 25 minutes to sew and maybe 10 to hem. You can't beat that. You just can't. Although, now that I've sewn approximately 2,000,000 raglans I'm sure I'm faster! I only read the instructions so I can pass along if they're good or not! ;)


Judy drafts for 5'5" I am 5'6" but I normally have to add length to P4P patterns (2" - 3"). However, I chose the curved hem and it looked long enough to me, so I decided not to add any length and it turned out really nice! Just enough booty coverage that you could even get away with wearing some Peg Legs as pants while still covering your... behind!
(P.S. If you don't own the Peg Legs yet, you can get a discount code to make them FREE through Judy's pattern group on Facebook, Patterns for Pirates.)


I love how the front curved hem is a little higher than the back! It's a nice touch that helps contribute to the butt coverage. :P I think next time I might add some length just to do some ruching! I think that would be adorable.

I read some complaints about the angle of the sleeves meeting the body on the Regular Raglan, however they seem more slanted on the Slim Fit, which I like. The neck band could be reduced about an inch which I will do next time I sew, however, it still lays pretty flat. :D

Also, I would have loved to see some "lengthen and shorten" lines on the body of the pattern. There is a link in the PDF to her blog with a tutorial, but the link is dead. : / Most sewers can figure out where to cut, but it would be great to have a line to keep the front and back even when lengthening or shortening.


Who should sew Patterns for Pirates Slim Fit Raglan?
Anyone who wants a super quick, no fuss sew! Judy's patterns are loved by so many, I'm sure most of you have tried one. She drafts for average height and a C cup. (I'm a B and they still fit great.) Anyone who want's more options for their raglan, too! The regular Raglan and the Slim Fit have Add On Pack that includes a hoodie, funnel neck, thumb holes, kangaroo pockets, etc. The add on pack works with both the Slim Fit and Regular so it's a 2 for 1! Also, this pattern includes Tunic, Banded, Curved hem, Elbow Patches, and the fun center triangle seen on RTW Raglans.

P.S. Patterns for Pirates is having a 30% off sale and today is the last day! Make sure to go check out The Patterns for Pirates Facebook Group for the discount code and shop for P4P Patterns here.

Sizes
XS - 3XL
Printable pattern pages/copy shop version
Printable pattern pages
Skill Level
Beginner
Measurements for Rectangles
Neckband
Line Drawings
Yes
Size made
Small 27"-34"-37"
Options choosen
Curved hem, Short Sleeve
Fabric Requirement for your size
7/8 body
3/8 for sleeves
Measurement Chart
Yes
Cutting Instructions
No
Pattern Printing Layout
No
Cutting Layout
No
Suggested Fabrics
Knits with 30% stretch for body
70% for Neck and other bands
Layer Printing Option
Yes
Neck Line Options
Crew neck (Optional Triangle Insert)
Sleeve Options
Short, 3/4. and Long
Hem Options
Curved, Tunic, Banded, Hemmed
Color Blocking
No
Seam Allowance
1/2"
Hem Allowance
1"
Separate add-on pack
Yes (Here)
Fit
Fitted
Easy to read instructions
Yes
Drawing or photograph instructions
Pictures



1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying this series. I bought the centerfield and have fabric to sew it up - just need to trace it out and haven't had time! I think this is another favorite - I love that the add on pack will work with it as well. I'm going to add to my wish list and probably get it plus the add on next time they have a sale at P4P. I love being able to see how they look on someone similar size/ shape to me! Thanks for posting your reviews!

    ReplyDelete