Sinclair Patterns: Macy Top

Yes. Summer is here. At least for the day. Also, happy day light saving! I have loved every moment of our sporadic Washington weather today. I even got to take some pictures at 4pm. Unheard of!

When a new-to-me designer asked for people to sew up some of her less photographed patterns I jumped at the chance to try a new designer and review my experience. I present the Macy Top from Sinclair Patterns designed by Oxana.


Part of my resolution this year is to sew all of my new clothes to help me create a cohesive wardrobe. Slow fashion = clothes I like and will actually wear. The Macy Top is a simple pattern that I've had my eye on for awhile. I'll keep saying it, I NEED MORE WORK CLOTHES. I work 5 days a week. I need work clothes. Somehow fun, skimpy, party clothes keep making their way into my closet, though. I have no clue how it happens. Same with fabric packages, they just keep showing up. If anyone has any ideas to make this stop, please contact me.


I'll tell you a bit about Sinclair Patterns, if you haven't tried them already.

-Most patterns are layered (she's working on updating the ones that don't have layers yet)
-You do have to trim the pages
-Wide size range US0-US22
-Every pattern comes in Petite/Regular/Tall so less modifications for you!
-Comes in Letter, A4, and A0
-Finishing techniques are professional
-Lots of pattern markings to make sure everything lines up perfectly


This simple cowl neck comes in sleeveless and long sleeve options. The top has a facing so the cowl doesn't show stitching when you lean over. (The fabric I used really shows the facing so I'm going to experiment with different fabric types to see what hides it best) The armcye is bound as well as the back neckline and she uses the facing in an awesome way to finish the side seams so they are so smooth! I also enjoy the modest neckline, it's great for work and a professional environment.


I used a charcoal modal from Cali Fabric that I purchased back in November. It's really lovely. This is my first experience with modal and it has such a nice drape and it's SO soft. I want all modal clothing now.


I sewed the US4 with no modifications. I based sizing off of my hips and waist, I should have blended to a US2 for my bust, but I figured that a cowl having a lot of drape by nature, would be fine being a tad big. I think for my next one I'll size down to a US2. It fits a little looser than I'd like around the waist and hips.


Sorry for the awkward angles! My photographer now has weekends off so I have to improvise!

I do hope you'll give Sinclair Patterns a try. I really enjoy her style and the fact that she uses professional techniques. I love to learn new ways of finishing items and I feel that if I keep sewing with Sinclair, I'll learn a lot of great techniques. You can find Sinclair Patterns here and Sinclair Facebook group here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment