Pattern Testing: Wildflower Kimono - Striped Swallow Designs

Do you ever see a trend and think "That is not for me." Welcome to UGG boots, trucker hats, and rompers. (I've never once desired to look like an adult baby.) but these trends - not those specifically mentioned above - they seem to look endlessly chic on other blogger babes. I can't get over it! How DO they do it?! The kimono was this trend for me. Yikes, won't I look like I'm stepping out in a robe or a beach cover up? Won't I look like I'm trying to be female Huge Hefner? Well, the short answer is no, but I'm not interested in short answers around here. ;)

The lovely pattern I'm testing today is from Striped Swallow Designs by Mandalynn (How awesome is her name?!). Her designs are very boho, flowy, and completely on trend. You just want to be on the beach while wearing her designs, guess it should come as no surprise then that she hails from Florida. /Jealous! Also, just as a general rule, Mandalynn's patterns are very visually pleasing. They are formatted professionally and logically organized. She always includes helpful tips like the seam allowance at the end of each page so no more searching for it. I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but her pdfs make me feel very ... pampered. (In the best way possible! They look fancy, not homemade - It's like a luxury item, not pampered as in they "baby" you.)

I tested her newest design The Wildflower Kimono, this totally brought the kimono trend into reach for me. I decided to apply after seeing Mandalyn's version on the cover, it just looked so great on her! Lucky for me, I was picked as a tester, so let me share some thoughts ...


First! I totally gave my fiance hell over these photos. Somehow I thought they were all blurry and unusable, but hello awesome photos! He told me "you're just too hard on yourself, you look great!" and I took a second look and he was right. I'm an ass. Bless him for his patience. Haha


This kimono is so wispy and light and amazing! As far as the actual pattern, well, it's not a "pattern" per se, but more of a tutorial as there are no pattern pieces to print. The instructions are clearly written and the pattern comes in sizes Newborn to ladies 3X. BANG! <--That's for your buck.


The Kimono is comprised of only three pieces (including arm bands not pictured here) and has some gorgeous gathering details on the sleeves. It has some good rear end coverage as it dips down below your butt so you're wrapped up in a cocoon style. It's an "always open" kind of kimono that still shows off your shirt, which I love!

Ahh. To go on vacation and sip margaritas on the beach in Florida in some area with loose liquor laws. Yes please. Isn't this how these kimono pictures make you feel? 


I sewed the Wildflower Kimono up in about 2 hours. The only part for me that was frustrating was my fabric choice. Chiffon, you beautiful monster. I tried to do a rolled hem on the sleeves, but connecting those when you reach the end of the circle is impossible for me. (Sleeve cuffs were added to the pattern after I sewed this one up. I'll be using those for my next one!)


Here is me having fun like they do in commercials. It was exhilarating.

This was one of those trends that completely had me stumped. I thought, no kimono, you are not for me. Alas, I was wrong and I completely fell in love with it! (So did my mom, I think she wants this one. :)

I already have fabric for two more.... it was on sale. :P

You can purchase The Wildflower Kimono here for $9

Details:
Fabric: Simply Silky Prints Chiffon from Joann's $6.49/yard for 1.75/yards with coupon = $11.36
Notions: Thread = $.50
Total cost: $11.86

2 comments:

  1. Oh hi, soul sister. Me again.
    I, too, have never been one for fashion trends. Those three things mentioned above? Never once been on my body. No wait. Trucker hats. But only when I've stolen them from someone and purposely tried to look like a doofus. I did make some cute fabric ones that I sell in my shop, but they're more baseballcapish and not so trucker, ironic stuff.

    Okay. Anyway. I've also never done the kimono thing. I so want to but feel like it's not my style. But I really do love them on everyone. And your spinning, modelesque-commercial photo is awesome. You crack me up, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe! Thank you! I quite like how that turned out, too. All praise goes to my awesome photographer / reluctant fiance... (reluctant about photographing me, not being my fiance. haha) he was thinking.... *snap, snap, snap.* "There HAS to be some good ones in here so she doesn't complain." -_-

      I think sometimes I just need to try it, and other times I need to recognize... You know "pass, this one isn't for me" and just stick to my stubborn guns. :) However, I do think you would rock a kimono. ^^

      Delete